Monday 22 June 2015

Pardon?

Lovelies!!

Greetings, fellow buffoons. I'm giving my mock IELTS tomorrow, and I'm pretty nervous(ish). While I do not really excel at good vocabulary-usage-ness and so on, what we must remember is that I am (extremely) over confident, so lettus hope and pray that little Kapoorni does well. Anyway, I was evaluating myself, thinking about my experience with English over the years, reflecting back on past memories, you know, like your average sixteen (and nine months) year old, when I remembered a story.

Note - I apologize for any errors that I may have made I'm typing on a really tiny laptop and you must remember that I have hands like paws and it's difficult for me to get used to the human behavior and so on, do cut me some slack okie.

Ah, yes. Settle back to enjoy yet another story that will make you question my intelligence and capabilities as a fellow human. If you don't already question it, that is.

Okay. The year was 2006. I was in Australia, we had arrived maybe a couple of weeks back, and we were set to stay there for a year. That one year was by far one of the most exiting years of my entire life. Anyway, like I said, we had just arrived, and I was seven and a half. To be frank, up until that point, my experience with the English language had been rather upsetting. After returning from London at age two, I knew just a few vital words of immense necessity (popcorn, shut up, no), and the Is marriage a word incident ( http:// /2014/06/english-difficult-language.html ) had already happened. Hence, contrary to popular belief, I hadn't really shown any signs of being a genius just as yet. So when we set out to Australia, I innocently thought I could perhaps mend my ways and regain my lost name.

What a naive child I was.

I hadn't started school yet. I was enrolled at East Fremantle Primary School (BEST SCHOOL EVER) but there were complications; I had done grade 2 from India, but the system in Australia was a little different, so I wasn't old enough to start year 3 yet, but I was too old for year 2, so finally I was put in this awesome sauce class called year 2/3 which was basically really cool and we had a gala time and I don't remember the details it feels like a distant dream now. Anyway, I was really scared, I was tiny and brown (I'm allowed to say it) and had a funny accent. Ouch. Not surprisingly though, everyone at the school was really, really, really, really nice and friendly and I made friends in no time, because what I lack in communication skillz, I make up for with my immense wit and charismatic appeal. Er, maybe. This is what I looked like, you decide -


Okay, okay, I understand that you are smitten by my good looks but we really must go on. So okay, yes, everyone was super friendly, and I felt at home immediately. There was just one problem though, and that was understanding my classmates. Our accents still sounded funny to each other, so I guess we had a little trouble understanding one another. Whenever they failed to understand me, they'd say something. That perplexed me, and I ignored it a few times. But then it started to become more and more frequent. I tried to pay attention and catch the word, and at last I did - Adam. Was he some beloved classmate, perhaps? Was this some primary school lingo? They said it sometimes to each other too, what could it possibly mean? 

When I got home, my parents asked me how school was. I explained my problem to them; everyone was very nice, the teachers were extremely helpful and kind, but everyone kept throwing this random word at me!! I was very, very confused for a couple of days, until finally, I got used to hearing the accent, and at last I understood that what they were saying was not infact Adam, but pardon. Er, yes. I don't know if I am partially deaf, or just an idiot in general. That is for you to decide, dear readers. All two of you. 

This story has been told and re-told at so many dinner parties and family lunches and White House conferences that I forget how the real ending went. Either way, I was a slow kid.

Let's just hope this sort of thing doesn't reappear if I'm applying to colleges in Australia, how sad would that be -

Interviewers - Ah, yes, have a seat.
Me - Adam?
Interviewers - wat
Me - I'll show myself out

:( 

4 comments:

  1. You lived in Australia like wtf?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why so phunny kapoorni😀 I love your writing�� You're applying to Aussie??! Hope to meet you there.

    ReplyDelete