Sunday 8 June 2014

Serious Issue Sunday #1 - Friends of the opposite sex

Note - *If you have/will ever had/have the (mis)fortune of meeting me, the last thing you'll think of me as will be a serious person. And I don't want my blog to be serious either. I want it to be a funny one, a simple one, with no airs or graces, where you can read about my awesomeness and stupidity and laugh.
But life isn't all fun and games. The pen is mightier than the sword, and I want to write to bring a change into the world. Every Sunday will be a special edition blog day, where I'll discuss matters that need resolving. All feedback is welcome.*

Why can't we have friends of the opposite sex?

I am an 11th grader. I am proud to say that all my best friends in school are boys. I'm not a tomboy nor am I boy crazy. I love mascara and lipglosses. I love arm wrestling with my crazy classmates during intervals. I love wearing high heels. I only sit with/talk to boys in school. No, I am not madly in love with them. No, they're not madly in love with me either! We're JUST friends. I have my fair share of girlfriends too, so why can't I hang out with boys and not have teachers and adults raise their eyebrows at me? Its pathetic! Why can't we be allowed to be friends with people of the other gender? At the end of the day, aren't we all human? Let me quote an example of how narrow minded society is.
A few weeks ago our school took us for a movie. I chose a spot with my friends, like everybody else. I obviously want to sit with people I like! Even if its my favourite movie, and you make me sit in a theatre with people whom I don't know/like, will I enjoy myself? No. I sat with a few boy friends, and within approximately five and a half seconds, the boys were asked to get up, leave, and shift to another row, and a few girls were seated beside me (who were extremely generous and kind thankfully). Now hold on a moment.
I understand what the school board/teachers think. Its sort of justified. We're teenagers. We have feelings and hormones we can't control. Leaving girls and boys together in a dark theatre? Yeah...I don't think so. What they don't understand is, stricter rules create wilder students. We need them to trust us. We are not going to snog in theatres. We just want to sit with people we want to. That could be a girl or a boy or a walrus or any damn one. If you don't want us to be irresponsible, give us responsibilities. Set some ground rules, but let us learn from our mistakes. Give us thr power to differentiate the right from the wrong. Restricting our movements like this will make us sneaky. We don't want that, and belive me, neither do they. 

13 comments:

  1. well ts true...bt u said that the pen is mightier the sword...i suppose you typed it :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. the point is not that it ll make you sneaky. the point is that people shouldnt tell others what to do simply on the basis of some vague moral pretence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^That too. Students becoming sneaky is a consequence, not some sort of threat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great writer *_*......even i am going through this phase of life and i must say the above written somehow matches my story :* :D - #SID

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heuehueuheu thanks man! Glad you coud relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya this one ��✌✌-#SID

      Delete
  6. What gets social and popular? Something extremely good or bad. Put the good aside, let's bring bad into the limelight. Bad, Social and opposite genders. Google these three and you'll come across words such as rape, harassment etc.
    But when we substitute bad from good in these three, the second word Social automatically gets removed because our society has never highlighted something extraordinary (good) socially.
    So, usually, it's human's tendency to believe what they see, when they'll see only bad things eventually it will cause a negative growth of thoughts in their minds whenever they'll see opposite genders.
    Let me tell you what happened with me, I was going to watch a movie with my sister and I bought an ice cream from Baskin Robbins for myself for our way through the escalators. My sister asked for a bite of that ice cream, I gave it to her, then she gave it to me.
    An aunty ji '' Aajkal k bachche, padhai likhai karke ladkiyon ko ice cream khilane main zyada dilchaspi rakhte hain ''
    So, you see, it's common here.
    I'm helpless too.

    P.S. : Our teachers are not so fortunate to think like us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Offo I can't believe some aunty actually said that. My heartfelt sympathies are with you. Next time that happens, why not throw the ice cream at the aunty and run away?

      And I agree with what you have said, specially the part about the good things never being highlighted in society.

      And also, society not focusing on bigger issues. Like come on, even if one IS eating ice cream with a girl, it's not exactly a catastrophic disaster. There are more important problems to worry about than two people dating.

      And my favourite, judging people without knowing anything about them. (Like in your case) Why is society obsessed with that?

      Delete
  7. It's not sensible to throw your Choco Mud double scoop on some random Aunty Ji.
    The typical nature of mother in laws is identified in almost every woman above 45. The typical Indian nature can't be healed.
    India : A place full of idiots worshipping any random guy who is self proclaimed agent of God and names himself Baba, A place full of narrow minded, A place where illiterate people seek to bring a boy in this world but not a girl.
    These people can give their girl to any boy which doesn't takes much dowry and they call this an arrange marriage.
    Practically, there are two types of marriages :
    1. Deal
    2. Love Marriage
    Ofcourse Arrange marriages, most of them not all, are no less than deals.
    If two people love each other, the whole world starts hating them for no reason.
    This is really ridiculous, We are not developing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hey hey it's not only the women who're at fault. And also, if we try and point out all the problems in the Indian system, I'll be ready to graduate from college my friend.

      Delete
  8. This post is really true nowadays! You represented the teens quite well in this post. The society really need to broaden their minds!

    ReplyDelete