Friday 16 June 2017

Recollections Of The Times I Had Very Little Or No Chill At All

If you asked me exactly when I realised I blow things out of proportion, I wouldn't be able to answer you. I think it occurred to me around the time when my sister was playing Sims when she knew it was my turn, and I pulled her hair and maybe also punched her shoulder, that I might have some sort of an issue (I still maintain she fell down from the chair on her own; I cannot help but be muscular and magnificently strong). I think that is when it dawned on me that perhaps I responded to some life events in a...somewhat different (for lack of a better word) manner.

It all began when I was a young, young child on the cusp of girlhood. Wait, what? No. I remember I was like four, and I had this obsession with blood. I craved it like the goat craves that mineral.



I blame my parents, who are doctors, and who have no sense of private space. Often times folders marked as 'Images' on our computer were filled with photographs from gory surgeries. Imagine a four year old stumbling onto these (not that I still don't, thanks guys), and the sheer trauma faced therein. So I had this newfound fascination with blood (which is pretty ironic, because I gave up studying biology in 11th grade because the sight of blood made me queasy by then) and I didn't know what to do with it. Until one day it burst forth with gay abandon. Several times, actually. I remember whenever somebody was hurt, or someone even talked about someone being hurt, I always had one question on my lips:

"But did it...bleed?" I would ask quietly, in a breathless gasp, standing on my tiptoes to sneak a peak of the delicious bloody wound. It was actually much creepier when I did it in my mother tongue ("Khoon...khoon aya kya?"). To be fair, it's pretty darn creepy any way you put it, I am sure I looked like a sick, twisted kid fresh out of a horror movie. I completely forgot about these incidents, until a few years ago when my sister gently asked me why I used to be a maniacal sociopath as a child, for which I had no answer.

In case you're wondering, this serious condition has no official name yet, nor have I been given the medical attention I require urgently, which is why I am unable to stop these urges, even during University. To this day, I continue to have very little, or almost no chill at all. I recently tutored someone who wanted to learn Hindi. I was teaching her how to ask for directions, like how to say "Where can I find ____?". The sentence I chose to illustrate this point was Where can I find the hospital? which, to me, seemed pretty normal - don't get me wrong, I've had my share of scary hospital visits, like the time I had a soft tissue injury in my right elbow (unsuccessfully tried using labrador as horse, got thrown to the ground and stepped on by own doggo) or when I got high on laughing gas (got earring stuck in ear - true story). To be fair, the day I got high on laughing gas as an eight year old was easily one of the best days of my life, though I creeped the ~hell~ out of my parents. My point remains, inspite of these lovely and numerous trips to the hospital, I still view it as the nice friendly place where I get to drink coke in the sunny courtyard whilst my mother tends to her patients, but I forget that most people don't; hence how I freaked my student out a little by suggesting the holy palace of blood a.k.a. my favourite place should be the first thing she should learn  how to say.

The most recent incident of M.H.A.N.C.A.A. (Me Having Almost No Chill At All) was last December. During my psychology 1A degree examination, we had to answer a question on conditioning techniques. I was writing about operant conditioning, and needed an example for positive punishment (in simple terms, decreasing undesired behaviour by presentation of aversive stimulus). I wrote the very first example that came to my mind, which I realised (only after submitting my answer sheet) was slightly, if not completely, questionable : Positive punishment, example: spanking an infant while potty training him or her. First of all, not only did I write the word 'potty' in my degree examination, the implications I linked with it were somewhat debatable. It is a wonder I have managed to pass Psychology at all, and now that we are on the topic of Wonder Woman, here is what I have to say about it:

1. it is an excellent movie
2. I may or may not have seen it several times already
3. it is an EXCELLENT movie
4. Bill Wurtz is a God

The 4th point wasn't related to the movie but I felt like pointing out that Bill Wurtz is indeed a God.


4 comments:

  1. Khoon, khoon aaya kya? And laughing gas in ear was so funny i legit laughed and krish looked at me like tum kaise jaa sakte ho Netherlands lmao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "looked at me like tum kaise jaa sakte ho Netherlands" HAHAHAHAHA new favourite catch phrase

      Delete
  2. A mature piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete