Friday 24 April 2015

Chemistry Helped Me Battle Depression - Based On True-y Events

Lovelies!

Today was not a good day. I ran a temperature last night, and I didn't have a very nice day at school. I was expecting something to happen and it did not, and I was upset, but not upset enough to not juggle.

Wait. What?

I can juggle. Thassright.

 I have had a lot of time to think, which is awful, because I always over think and get even more depressed. Anyway, so I just wandered around my room all evening and afternoon, doing Physics problems and drawing Chemistry diagrams while listening to music. It was kind of sad. But not very. I have (sadly) reached that point in life where I like my subjects and somehow everything I say/do ends up being related to either Maths or Physics or Chemistry. Like okay I was talking to one of my girlfriends earlier today about something that had happened with her, and we were trying to figure out who could have done it, so I casually suggested that we could draw a Venn diagram with two sets; of all the people capable of doing it, and all the people who had the resources to do it, and merely analyse the intersection set.

We had a moment of silence after that.

But honestly, everything in my life is somehow connected to my studies.

I will give you a personal favourite - There are two gas equations that we study in Chemistry (or atleast that I know of). We first studied the Ideal Gas Equation. The Ideal Gas equation, in simple language, states that for a gas having ideal behaviour, the product of Pressure and Volume is equal to Number of moles times the Ideal Gas Constant (R) times the temperature in Kelvin (T). To sum up,

PV = nRT

(Simple enough? Got that? Okay, stick with me. I have a point, I swear.) 

However, Van Der Waal pointed out that the pressure and volume taken in the previous equation was actually incorrect (or something or the other), and gases did not actually obey this law. He came up with two corrective factors, namely    and nb, and thus corrected the volume and attractive forces between gas molecules. He hence altered the Ideal Gas Equation and came up with The Real Gas Equation using his corrective factors - 

(P + )(V - nb) = nRT

I can really relate to this.

 We think of scenarios in our heads that are ideal. We imagine that this ideal way of living is how life is supposed to be lived. With little, or no sadness, with things going according to plan, no sorrow coming our way.

And before you can even say Van Der Waal - and why would you - things screw themselves up and we're depressed. Why?

We forget to account for the corrective factors. Our ideal life is shattered by our biggest enemy - reality. We forget to live in reality. We have to apply the Real Gas Equation, my friend(zz). Life is going to be very shitty, but that's the harsh truth. It also going to be very beautiful, that is the hidden beauty. I don't want to preach and sound monotonous, I just think a lot about things, in fact I think so much about my problems (both petty and big) that I always arrive at a solution myself (I don't mean that my friends and family don't help me, I mean to say that for every problem I face, I always know what the solution must be, something which is both rewarding and frustrating) - The only message I want to convey to you is this - Life will be unexpectedly crappy when you want it to be the Ideal Life. Those annoying corrective factors will bug you and demand a space in your life, and when you do account for their space, you will compensate for that space with your happiness, and you will get unhappy. However, when you expect things to not go your way, when you expect to get a bad grade on that test you did not study for, when you expect the boy who has been flirting with you for 100000 years to never ask you out, when you don't expect a call back from that interview you applied to, life will surprise you, you will get the best grade, the cute boy will ask you out, the interviewers will admit that they loved you, and accidentally, without even you realising, life was fair, for those five tiny seconds. Live for those unexpected moments.

They
will
be
worth
it.

I promise you.





2 comments: