Thursday 2 April 2015

Watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Is The Solution For Everything In Life

So I was watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S. yesterday. The One Where Ross and Rachel take a break. So Ross 'cheats' (do you think it was justified? I do not.) on Rachel, and her reaction...I don't know what it was, but her reaction made me stop and think. How angry she got, how unforgiving she was, how she hit him with pillows, and it made me feel so proud. It made me proud to be a woman.

So I came up with this -

I AM A WOMAN

"I flip my long hair over my shoulder,
I chop my locks off, it makes me feel bolder.
I lid my eyes with black, make my lips dark and red,
I wear my sweatpants and eat Cheetos in bed.
I wear four inch heels, and still manage to twirl,
I jog for miles, my bouncing ponytail still intact and curled.
I am unique, you can spot me in a crowd,
I am a woman, and I am proud.

You cannot lay a finger on me,
You cannot tell me whether or not to be free.
You can’t define the length for my skirt,
You can’t force me to clean the grime and dirt.
You can’t tear my clothes and take me by force,
You can’t shut me up just by shutting the doors.
You can’t twist my wrist, and make me feel pained,
I am a woman, I cannot be contained.

You can’t raise your eyebrows, if my bra strap shows,
You can’t roll your eyes if I pierce my bellybutton or nose.
You can’t purse your lips if I work a nine to five job,
You can’t punish me if I have a teenage heartthrob.
You can’t cheat on me, and think you’ll get away – how absurd,
You can’t beat me to pulp, and expect me to not say a word.
You don’t know that I have thousands like me by my side,
I am a woman, by the Girl Code we abide.

I demand equality, and fulfilment of my rights,
I can and I will put up the deadliest of fights.
I am the spirit of every girl that has been wronged,
I am the incarnation of those, for justice who have longed.
I will not be swayed by your hollow words,
I will not step down until my voice is heard.
I will get peace and freedom, no matter what you may say,
I am a woman, I always get my way."

4 comments: