Wednesday 23 July 2014

An Ode To Broken Phones

Broken phones are like broken hearts,
(whether they're iPhones or Nokias or Androids, smart.)
It takes time and effort to put it right,
It really is the saddest of sights.
Let's begin the journey with Phone Number One,
It was the worst phone possible under the sun.
A hand-me-down, it was still a luxurious treat,
(I only used it to text the cute boy down the street!)
The keypad, within a month, refused to work,
Mother was somewhat angry, if not irked.
Along came Phone Number Two, a used blackberry,
But the old yet intact phone made me happy - very.
I now had an air of maturity around me,
Though circumstances would soon put an end to my glee.
For i went to a music competition to another city, and left my phone there,
On the train back, I looked around for the broken blackberry in despair.
In spite of the fact that I had broken the phone's frame,
I did not want it to be injured or maimed.
Even though I had spilled water on it twenty thousand times,
I loved that phone, it was special, it was mine.
So I thence returned home phone-less,
I got a severe scolding, (but another phone nonetheless)
Along came Phone Number Three, which was finally not a used one,
I vowed to care for it and protect it like a faithful mum.
After two months, the screen and keypad came apart,
I sheepishly asked my mother if i could perhaps buy another one from flipkart.
Thus came along Phone Number Four,
It was pretty much the same as the one before.
Initially I carried it in a pouch, protected and safe,
But I obviously will never learn from my ways.
I flung it around one too many times -
(And i'm not just saying this to help with the rhyme)
But the screen was crushed and it went completely blank,
As for my heart, below the ground it sank.
I was finally given a decent phone on my 15th birthday,
And hence Phone Number Five had an important role to play.
It finally had apps and a normal sized screen,
When I first held it, you should have heard me scream.
With it's sleek body and gleaming white frame,
I felt as though my life had not perhaps been lived in vain.
Maybe I will not destroy this phone, thought I,
But alas, fate was smiling upon me with a smile so wry.
That phone broke not just one time, but five,
Into the crux of the problems, let us dive -
Twice I dropped it, and the screen mercilessly shattered,
Third time the power button broke - the one thing that mattered.
Fourth time, it hit the ground after colliding with Marshmallow's head,
Fifth time, when my friend Mars called me at six in the morning, the shock made me fall right off my bed.
My mother refused to get it fixed now, "There is no hope" she says
"You're careless as shit, you'll never mend your ways!"
So maybe she didn't use those exact words, but you get the gist,
Basically, if a mobile were a super hero, I'd be the evil antagonist.




5 comments:

  1. good job. you d be a great...nothing

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 phones?!
    well aren't you a pampered girl?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrr. Hmmm. Aap toh matlab badi achchi like poetry karte ho hummmm. Please sit down class, baithiye

    ReplyDelete